Dragon Age Origins is known for its detailed storyline, expansive worldbuilding, and a set of unique characters that make it the start of a successful game series.
For those looking to add to their experience in Origins, detailed in this article are 15 of the best Dragon Age Origins mods guaranteed to add new areas to explore, plots to uncover, and a set of new characters.
Check out these top 15 mods to add fun, new content to the world of Dragon Age Origins!
15. Extra Dog Slot
The Mabari Hound from Ostagar and the human noble’s origin holds a special place in all origin’s player’s hearts. With the growth of your party, many players face the loss of having to leave your precious companion behind while you work to save Ferelden. The Extra Dog Slot mod allows your Mabari to be the fifth companion in your party, so you don’t have to leave your slobbering pal behind on your Darkspawn adventures.
- This mod makes it possible for you to choose your favorite companions and include your loyal pup along for the ride as well.
Get the mod here.
14. A Year with Sten
It is obvious by Dragon Age II that Sten’s design in Origins falls short of the original Qunari design. However, this mod reveals what a year with Sten of Beresaad should really look like.
- Players who enjoy the storytelling and worldbuilding aspect of Origins (or are big fans of Sten and Qunari) will appreciate the visual details of this mod.
Get the mod here.
13. Improved Atmosphere
It’s common knowledge among the Dragon Age community that Sir Cauthrien is one of the toughest opponents in the series. To add to the frustration of such an op battle is that it is almost entirely unavoidable, and exposing Anora’s betrayal afterward is a battle on its own. However, the improved atmosphere mod offers the chance to expose Anora and even provides players more than one chance to surrender to Cauthrien. In addition, this mod offers extended and fixed conversations, restores cut content, natural behavior from NPCs, an increase in party banter, new items, and an improvement in item appearance.
- This mod works to improve worldbuilding and storytelling, giving players a better visual experience.
- More importantly, this mod gives players a chance to expose Anora for the liar that she is (in true Mac Tir fashion).
Get the mod here.
12. Dragon Age Redesigned
Dragon Age Redesigned improves the texture and quality of characters and cutscenes in Origins. Now, when players come across the prisoner in Ostagar and City Elf characters rush to free Shianni from Vaughan, this mod redesigns characters to suit their situations.
- This mod improves the appearances of characters, adding to the worldbuilding aspect of Origin player’s gameplay.
Get the mod here.
11. Raptures Lightsabers
Want to give that Dual-Weapons Sweep an added effect? Raptures Lightsabers mod brings Star Wars to Dragon Age with two lightsaber hilts and multiple color options for the blade(s) that your rogue is sure to love!
- This option provides you with an array of colorful (glowing) weaponry that is sure to make the Darkspawn a bit jealous (before you behead them, of course).
- And, with this mod, your rogue can now carry out their assassinations in style!
Get the mod here.
10. Party Recruiting Mod
We all have those characters that we love that prompt us to write a passionate email to their developer demanding to know why [insert favorite character name] has received the NPC curse. Fortunately, for players of Dragon Age Origins, the Party Recruiting Mod has answered their prayers (and their passionate emails, as well). This mod allows you to recruit some of your favorite and not so favorite (read: Anora Mac Tir) NPC characters to join your party.
- This mod gives you the option to create a complex, unique party of your own.
- King Cailan, after dying a horrible death on the battlefield, can come back and save the world, of course. And you will no longer be the desire demon’s punching bag, but instead, her ally.
- This mod even gives you the option to have the Lady of The Forest as a party member, and who wouldn’t want a beautiful spirit of nature in their party?
Get the mod here.
9. Dance Party
Have you ever been in the middle of restoring world order and felt the sudden urge to break out into a musical number? Well, players who have tried the Dance Party mod would agree that it’s a refreshing break from the seriousness that being a Grey Warden calls for. This mod gives you the chance to see your favorite (and not so favorite) characters bust a move! Players can also go to the Gnawed Noble Tavern and have a real thriller night as well.
- This mod brings music and dance to a medieval world (who doesn’t want to see people in heavy chainmail show their best moves?).
- You have the option to dance with any character of your choice and even have your characters put on a performance together as well.
- A quick trip to the Gnawed Noble Tavern will grant you a Medieval performance of a Michael Jackson classic that is sure to be thrilling.
Get the mod here.
8. A Hero’s Sacrifice
For those brave enough to sacrifice their Warden, Bioware rewards them with a funeral (and not much else). For the players who decided to romance Alistair and make the final sacrifice, A Hero’s Sacrifice offers a sweet, heart wrenching final cutscene between the romantic pairing.
- This mod rewards one final cutscene between the Warden and Alistair that the original version fails to provide closure for.
- It adds elements to the Warden’s story that improves the ending of Origins.
Get the mod here.
7. Faster Combat
Who has it harder than the Warden whose job it is to restore order to a world thrown into chaos? Players who choose to play two-handed warriors. For those who do not have the patience of a saint to watch their character only manage three hits in one fight, faster combat speeds up battles entirely. Now, players can avoid Origins’ slow, choppy battle system.
- Boss fights are made even more fun as players must move tactically at a quicker pace.
- Fights take less time which leaves players with more time to explore storylines and locations.
Get the mod here.
6. Return to Korcari Wilds
Not all were defeated at the Battle of Ostagar. Douglas, a member of King Cailan’s Royal guard, awaits the Warden in the Korcari Wilds to defeat the threat of lingering Darkspawn.
- New characters are introduced.
- Players are given new quests to complete.
- The Warden is able to return to the Korcari Wilds, which has become overrun with darkspawn.
Get the mod here.
5. Pints and Quarts Tavern
To the east of Redcliffe Village sits the Pints and Quarts Tavern. Inside, players can find several more quests and adventures waiting that unlock new enemies, items, and 15 new locations to explore.
- Pints and Quarts unlocks 15 new locations for players to explore.
- New characters are introduced with quests and backstories of their own.
- Pints and Quarts provides challenges sure to provide players with more game time and new opportunities, experiences, and adventures.
Get the mod here.
4. The Demon
As a standalone campaign, The Demon takes place in the city of Jader, a port between Ferelden and Orlais. In this mod, players follow the story of Ariana du Landreau, an Orlesian Grey Warden in Jader to track down her parents’ murderer.
- This campaign introduces new characters, Ariana du Landreau, a rogue class Orlesian Grey Warden from Montsimmard and her companion, Chevalier Roquefort.
- Players can explore new locations from Jader to the Richard mansion and the Grey Warden’s fortress.
- Gain insight into Grey Warden politics and complete new quests such as unraveling the mystery of the missing Warden Nicole.
Get the mod here.
3. Shattered War
The blight has ended, but the Shattered War brings players back to the Frostback Mountains, where a threat remains. A new adventure begins with a new hero who must deal with the threat lingering from the Deep roads while lives hang in the balance.
- Play as a member of a small military force meant to investigate the new Darkspawn disturbance.
- This mod offers over 10 hours of gameplay, introduces 3 new party members, and several new locations to explore.
- Face new enemies, acquire new items, and discover rewarding puzzles.
- Shattered War offers a variety of options and endings that make it an adventure well worth playing.
Get the mod here.
2. Temple of Vulak
400 years after the blight, there are whispers in Ferelden of a ruined temple in the Amaranthine Ocean belonging to the Dragon High lord Vulak, Lord of the Scales. Brave adventurers gather and travel towards the Temple of Vulak in hopes of discovering what many believe to be a legend.
- The Temple of Vulak is a dungeon where players can face a variety of new opponents.
- This campaign calls for tactics and strategy beyond that of Origin’s regular gameplay. Its difficulty requires the best gear and tactics if players wish to survive.
- Players face new bosses including Gigantus, General Commander to the Legion of Triumph, and of course, Vulak himself.
Get the mod here.
Thirst is a standalone campaign with over 10 hours of gameplay. In the city of Arceris, a conspiracy is brewing. As a new arrival trapped in the city, players must work to solve the mystery of Arceris and decide its fate.
- Thirst introduces 50 new areas to explore from bustling markets to the putrid slums.
- This mod provides 10-20 hours of gameplay with new quests and opportunities as you decide the fate of Arceris.
- Thirst introduces a new hero and new character backgrounds including a Retired Sword, Survivalist, and Swindler.
Get the mod here.
From busting out the moves in your chainmail to becoming the first Grey Warden Jedi, give these mods a try to bring a new gaming experience to Dragon Age Origins. Have fun! And remember to always mod safely.
You may also be interested in:
- Top 15 Games Like Dragon Age Origins
- [Top 15] Most Popular RPGs in the World
- 10 Great Games Like Dragon Age
Installing mods for Dragon Age: Origins is fairly easy. Players will need to follow these steps: Download a mod or mods. Open the Downloads folder, left-click on the zipped mod folder, and choose Extract All.What is the LVL max in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
In Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, the maximum level has been raised up to 35 (from 25 in Origins) this cap also remains in all DLC thereafter, and a newly created character starts at level 18.Are there cheat codes in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
Dragon Age: Origins PC Cheat Codes.
|runscript zz_pre_strategy||Teleports player and party to Duncan's fire in Ostagar.|
|runscript zz_pre_demo2||Teleports player and party to Ostagar.|
Witch Hunt is more touching if Dragon Age: Origins players romance Morrigan, but even without this, it does so much to build up the franchise. Indeed, one could argue which is more fun or which has better argue, but no DLC really sets up the franchise quite like Witch Hunt.Does difficulty affect XP Dragon Age: Origins? ›
Difficulty settings alter a variety of aspects including enemy AI, enemy resistances, and friendly fire, but does not increase the amount of XP gained.How long does it take to 100% Dragon Age: Origins? ›
When focusing on the main objectives, Dragon Age: Origins is about 40½ Hours in length. If you're a gamer that strives to see all aspects of the game, you are likely to spend around 87 Hours to obtain 100% completion.How many people can you sleep with in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
There are four companions who can be romanced. Morrigan (a "Witch of the Wilds") and Alistair (a young and humorous Grey Warden) are the heterosexual options; Leliana (a Chantry lay-sister with a mysterious past) and Zevran (an assassin of the guild of Antivan Crows) are bisexual romance options.Who is the most powerful mage in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
- 8 Avernus.
- 7 Danarius.
- 6 The Inquisitor.
- 5 Morrigan.
- 4 Magisters Sidereal.
- 3 Corypheus.
- 2 Solas.
- 1 Flemeth.
- Arcane Tree (Arcane Branch).
- Creation Tree (Healing Branch).
- Primal Tree (Fire and Lightning Branch).
- Primal Tree (Cold and Earth Branch).
- Creation Tree (Enhancements Branch).
- Entropy Tree (Draining Branch).
- Spirit Tree (Death and Telekinesis Branch).
- 7 Leliana (Dragon Age: Origins) ...
- 6 Anders (Dragon Age 2) ...
- 5 Iron Bull (Dragon Age: Inquisition) ...
- 4 Alistair (Dragon Age: Origins) ...
- 3 Sera (Dragon Age: Inquisition) ...
- 2 Fenris (Dragon Age 2) ...
- 1 Morrigan (Dragon Age: Origins)
Only Couslands can become Queen (King is possible too, but that has some different steps). A source of confusion in many guides with whether human mages can become Queen. The truth is, even human mages cannot be Queen. However, they can be a consort to the King if Alistair is hardened.Can you become dwarf king in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
Unfortunately no, if you are a Dwarf Noble, you cannot become King.Can I become King Dragon Age: Origins? ›
[DAO SPOILERS] Is it possible to become king and make Alistair happy? Well you don't become King you become Prince Consort. Anora will call for him to be executed which you can convince for her to be happy with him renouncing his claim to the throne.Can you marry Alistair in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
While Alistair and Anora have marriages, they happen off-screen, while Sera and Cullen from Dragon Age: Inquisition have marriages on-screen in the Trespasser DLC. Both, of course, have to be romanced, and the player gets a choice whether the characters marry or keep their relationship as is without marriage.Can you marry Leliana in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
One of those characters that can also be romanced is a bard turned woman of faith named Leliana. Leliana is first met after an encounter at the inn in Lothering. Interact with her and there is a chance she can be romanced, regardless of the player's gender.How do you get infinite money in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
- By making traps for Allison in Lothering (Traps are a Girl's Best Friend) you can earn infinite experience and money (at 100 XP and 50 for each set of three traps)
- This quest requires Trap-Making skill. ...
- It's also covered below, on "Level and Experience" because this quest also causes a gain of XP, and thus levels.
Wade's Heavy Superior Dragonscale armor set is one of the most powerful sets of Heavy Armor in Dragon Age: Origins. It looks similar to a suit of Heavy Chainmail made of red steel. It can be made by the master smith Wade in Denerim after the Warden has acquired the scales of a High Dragon.Does race matter in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
In the first title Dragon Age Origins, you get to play a different origin story based on your race and class. Some fans just play every origin story and then pick their favorite and go with that one. But what race you choose actually unlocks a different backstory that you get to play through.What is the best starting character in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
- Warrior Berserker. ...
- Warrior Champion. ...
- Arcane Warrior Mage. ...
- Warrior Reaver. ...
- Warrior Guardian. ...
- Assassin Rogue. ...
- Ranger Rogue. ...
- Spirit Healer Mage.
You can make evil choices and justify them as being good, or you can choose to see the choices as evil and enjoy being evil. It depends on the character.
This test is known as The Harrowing. You can ask a few questions, but eventually, you're going to have to enter the portal and deal with what waits for you on the other side. If you fail in your quest, you will turn into a demon yourself, and will be slain by the mage's paladin friends.Is Dragon Age 2 shorter than Origins? ›
Dragon Age II's campaign is shorter than Dragon Age: Origins' – but it's longer than Mass Effect 2's. That's according to BioWare executive producer Mike Laidlaw, who told PlayStation Universe the fantasy role-playing sequel is beefed up by side quests.Can you avoid being captured Dragon Age: Origins? ›
Whilst it is possible to avoid the Captured! quest altogether, it offers a chance to see the Warden and their companions in a variety of amusing scenarios. This quest starts if the Warden has either surrendered to, or been beaten by, Ser Cauthrien in the Arl of Denerim's Estate at the end of the Rescue the Queen quest.What is the max cunning needed in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
To persuade almost everyone you have to maximize the Coercion skill. You have 4 levels of Coercion and the max needs 16 or 18 cunning.Should you kiss Morrigan? ›
Maxing out her approval is key to successfully romancing her. There are two ways in order to get and maintain a high approval rating with her. If her approval gets too low, there is a chance she will leave the party. If that happens, you can kiss a Morrigan romance goodbye.Should I accept Morrigan's ritual? ›
It is necessary to accept Morrigan's offer to earn "A Dark Promise" and to turn her down to receive the other three achievements (and hence also the "Perfectionist" Completionist Achievement for exploring all four endings).Can you romance 2 people in Dragon Age? ›
You can flirt with as many characters as you wish (subject to their preferences), but as you complete storyline milestones, multiple suitors may confront you and ask you to make a choice. This is most apparent just before The Final Piece storyline quest.
- 1 Vivi Ornitier – Final Fantasy 9.
- 2 Jessica Albert – Dragon Quest 8. ...
- 3 Lulu – Final Fantasy 10. ...
- 4 Athos – Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade. ...
- 5 Millenia – Grandia 2. ...
- 6 Angela – Trials Of Mana. ...
- 7 Emma Millstein – Trails Of Cold Steel. ...
- 1 Gotoh, Fire Emblem.
- 2 Yennefer Of Vengerberg, The Witcher 3. ...
- 3 Mordenkainen, Dungeons & Dragons Franchise. ...
- 4 Vivi, Final Fantasy IX. ...
- 5 The Mage Of Zamorak, Runescape. ...
- 6 Magus, Chrono Trigger. ...
Dumat, the Dragon of Silence, was the most powerful among the Old Gods, ancient draconic beings said to be imprisoned underground by the Maker for usurping His worshipers. Dumat was the first of the Old Gods to turn into an Archdemon, bringing about the First Blight.
Mass Rejuvenation, while theoretically less efficient than both Rejuvenate and Spellbloom, actually is your best spell combination practically, affecting your whole party at once. Spellbloom is the close second.What is the easiest class to play in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
To start out, I'd recommend Warrior. Warriors are easy to play, they require little handholding unless you're building unconventionally (Dual Weapons or Archer Warriors require a different mindset than beefy frontliners).Is Blood Magic worth it in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
To me, blood magic is excellent if you play as a spellcaster, but if you prefer to play as a warrior then Spirit Healer is a better choice. It's up to you. That last line is the key to everything really. It's up to you to decide what your party needs.Who is the canon protagonist in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
The Warden, later known as the Hero of Ferelden, is the player-controlled protagonist of Dragon Age: Origins.Can you flirt with Varric? ›
Flirting with Varric does not yield any long-term results as a romance cannot be pursued.Should I harden Alistair or not? ›
Alistair, like Leliana, is a character that can be hardened during his personal quest. Most guides advise hardening him if the player wants to make him king. Basically, a hardened Alistair has more confidence and is willing to put duty above feelings. This makes him much more willing to become king.
As an infant, Alistair is presented to King Maric by his mother, the elven mage Fiona. As an elf, a mage and a Grey Warden, Fiona is unable to raise Alistair and asks Maric to see Alistair raised away from court and ignorant of his elf-blooded heritage.Why does Alistair become a drunk? ›
If Anora is made queen and not married to Alistair, she will call for Alistair's execution if Loghain is spared. The player may interject and stop Anora, or let him be executed. If Alistair is spared, he is exiled and becomes a wandering drunk.Can you get both mages and templars in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
You get both companions regardless so that's not an issue. Various companions will agree or disagree with which choice you make so talk to them and try to make an educated guess on who would like what.Can you become a Templar in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
Templar is one of the specializations available to the warrior class in Dragon Age: Origins.
In Dragon Age: Origins, elves are a playable race for the Warden by choosing the City Elf or the Dalish Elf Origin as a warrior and rogue or the Magi Origin as a mage. Furthermore, in the Awakening expansion, the Orlesian Warden-Commander can be an elf.Should I have Alistair marry Anora? ›
Anora can be good with the dirty details of politics while Alistair can be a great leader in terms of kindness and charisma. Some say that either of them alone on the throne is a bad idea because of all their faults, so marriage makes the most sense.What happens if Alistair is king? ›
If Alistair is made king, the Warden made queen, Anora will refuse to renounce her claims to the throne, so Alistair orders her to be locked up and only if Alistair dies from the Blight, will she become Queen.Can Alistair rule alone? ›
Alistair can rule alone or with Anora if you opt for a political alliance; he can also rule alongside the Warden if she's a human noble. Alternatively Anora may rule alone or with a male human noble as consort.Do you need mods for Dragon Age: Origins? ›
BioWare's RPG is stellar without any modifications, but there are things about the game that can be improved. Dragon Age: Origins' modding scene is vast and feels neverending. There is something to satisfy everyone's tastes, whether they are searching for technical tweaks or brand new story content.Where do I put mods for Dragon Age: Origins? ›
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition. how do i add mods? Basically, you install mods into your Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override file path.How to get all the DLC for Dragon Age: Origins? ›
- Download the DAZIP file.
- Locate daupdater.exe in your game folder. ...
- Run daupdater.exe.
- Click Load DAZIPs and browse to the location where you downloaded your DLC . ...
- Install it.
- Run Dragon Age: Origins and check your DLC.
Obviously people with darker skin tones exist in Thedas. But those people are not categorized as a single group in Thedas. Skin color has no more meaning to them than hair or eye color. Thus, the race of "black people" does not exist there, though people with darker skin do.Can I romance in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
In Dragon Age: Origins, the Wardens of any gender and race can pursue a romance. There are four companions who can be romanced.Can you change your hair in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
YES , there is. But, you have to make a new character with the wanted look. then go to Dragon Age Nexus , and type in : Morph (or something like that) Download it and you'll have a program in which you import the OLD save and the NEW one, and create the wished look.
Character Creation. As with just about every RPG ever created, characters are at the center of the game. At the very center of Dragon Age: Origins is your primary character, who you will get to create at the outset of your adventure.How do you enable cheats in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
Origin. In the Origin client right click Dragon Age: Origins and choose Game properties. Select the Advanced launch options tab. In the Command Line Arguments field type -enabledeveloperconsole and click Save.What mod adds dragons? ›
Wyrmroost adds several diverse and interesting dragons to the world of Minecraft, and they can benefit players in numerous ways that you won't find in many other mods. The dragons added in this mod can help with farming, transportation, combat, and more, giving you the whole Daenerys experience.What is DAModder? ›
DAModder is the awesome Dragon Age Mod manager from Beyond Ferelden.How long is Dragon Age: Origins? ›
It can vary from 40 to 80 hours based on how much of it you engage with. Rather than being a giant sprawling landmass filled with collectibles, NPCs, and dungeons, Dragon Age: Origins is made up of a series of smaller localized maps with quests dotted about, indicated by the standard golden exclamation mark.What is the max level in Origins DLC? ›
The level cap for Assassin's Creed: Origins was originally level 40. With the 2018 DLC expansion, The Hidden Ones, however, this level cap was pushed to 45.What is the max level in AC Origins DLCs? ›
The base game allows you to level up to 40, with both DLCs the cap is increased to the level 55.Can you get the mages and templars in Dragon Age: Origins? ›
In Origins, you don't really take sides with either faction - even if that is what the Dragon Age Keep says we did. You are never given a choice of helping the mages or helping the Templars - which side you end up aligning with depends on how much effort you invest in their questline.